The Secret of Mary
by St. Louis de Montfort
-------- Part I --------
THE SECRET OF MARY
OUR SANCTIFICATION BY THE PERFECT DEVOTION
TO THE BLESSED SLAVERY OF LOVE
A Perfect Means
Devotions to Mary
24. There are several true devotions to Our Lady: here I do not speak of those that are false.
1. Devotion without Special Practices
25. The first consists in fulfilling our Christian duties, avoiding mortal sin, acting more out of love than fear, praying to Our Lady now and then, honoring her as the Mother of God, yet without having any special devotion to her.
2. Devotion with Special Practices
26. The second consists in entertaining for Our Lady more perfect feelings of esteem and love, of confidence and veneration. It leads us to join the Confraternities of the Holy Rosary and of the Scapular, to recite the five decades or the fifteen decades of the Rosary, to honor Mary's images and altars, to publish her praises and to enroll ourselves in her sodalities.  This devotion is good, holy and praiseworthy, if we keep ourselves free from sin; but it is not so perfect as the next, nor so efficient in severing our soul from creatures or in detaching us from ourselves, in order to be united with Jesus Christ.
3. The Perfect Devotion: The Holy Slavery of Love
27. The third devotion to Our Lady,
and practiced by very few persons, is the one I am now about to
to you, predestinate soul.
1. All such devotions, remarks St. Louis De Montfort elsewhere, include but a limited number of devout practices and take up but a part of our daily life, while the one he proposes embraces our whole life and divests us of all things.
HOME----------------MARY'S INDEX------------------CATHOLIC CLASSICS