Scriptural Sources of the Litany of the Sacred Heart
TAKEN FROM THE SACRED HEART IN THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH
by Margaret Williams, R.S.C.J.
With Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur, 1957
1. Heart of Jesus, Son of the Eternal Father.
"Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ the Son of the living God."
Matt. 16, 16.
2. Heart of Jesus formed by the Holy Ghost in the womb of the Virgin Mother.
"But while he thought on these things behold the Angel of the Lord
appeared to him in his sleep, saying:
Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife,
for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost."
Matt. 1, 20.
3. Heart of Jesus substantially united to the word of God.
"And the Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us
(and we saw His glory the glory as it were
of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth."
John 1, 14.
4. Heart of Jesus of infinite majesty.
"And when the Son of Man shall come in His majesty,
and all the Angels with Him,
then shall He sit upon the seat of His majesty."
Matt. 25, 31.
5. Heart of Jesus, sacred temple of God.
"Jesus answered, and said to them ...
Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up."
"But he spoke of the temple of His Body."
John 2, 19, 21.
6. Heart of Jesus, tabernacle of the Most High.
"Neither by the blood of goats, or of calves, but by His Own Blood,
entered once into the holies, having obtained eternal redemption."
Heb. 9, 12.
7. Heart of Jesus, house of God and gate of Heaven.
"And trembling he said: How terrible is this place!
this is no other but the house of God; and the gate of Heaven."
Gen. 28, 17.
8. Heart of Jesus, burning furnace of charity.
"To know also the charity of Christ, which surpasseth all knowledge,
that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God."
Eph. 3, 19.
9. Heart of Jesus, abode of justice and love.
"Thou hast loved justice and hated iniquity."
Heb. 1, 9.
10. Heart of Jesus, full of goodness and love.
"Who said to him: why askest thou Me concerning good? One is good, God."
Matt. 19, 17.
11. Heart of Jesus, abyss of all virtues.
"Thou hast loved justice and hated iniquity; therefore God, Thy God, hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows."
Heb. 1, 9.
12. Heart of Jesus, most worthy of all praise.
"And again, when He bringeth in the first begotten into the world, He saith:
and let all the Angels of God adore Him."
Heb. 1, 6.
"And they sung a new canticle saying: Thou art worthy, O Lord,
to take the book, and to open the seals thereof;
because thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God, in Thy Blood,
out of every tribe, and tongue, and people and nation."
Apoc. 5, 9.
13. Heart of Jesus, king and center of all hearts.
"Thou hast subjected all things under His feet.
For in that He hath subjected all things to Him,
He left nothing not subject to Him.
But now we see not as yet all things subject to Him."
Heb. 2, 8.
14. Heart of Jesus, in Whom are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
"In Whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."
Col. 2, 3.
15. Heart of Jesus, in Whom, dwells the fullness of divinity.
"For in Him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead corporeally."
Col. 2, 9.
16. Heart of Jesus, in Whom the Father was well-pleased.
"And as He was yet speaking, behold a bright cloud overshadowed them.
And lo, a voice out of the cloud saying:
this is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased: hear ye Him."
Matt. 17, 5.
17. Heart of Jesus, of Whose fullness we have all received.
"And of His fullness we all have received, and grace for grace."
John 1, 16.
18. Heart of Jesus, desire of the everlasting hills.
"The blessings of thy father are strengthened with the blessings of his fathers; until the desire of the everlasting hills should come; may they be upon the head of Joseph, and upon the crown of the Nazarite among His brethren."
Gen. 49, 26.
19. Heart of Jesus, patient and most merciful.
"And the Lord direct your hearts in the charity of God
and the the patience of Christ."
2 Thess. 3, 5.
20. Heart of Jesus, enriching all who invoke Thee.
"The same is Lord over all, rich unto all that call upon Him."
Rom. 10, 12.
21. Heart of Jesus, fountain of life and holiness.
"You shall draw water with joy out of the Savior's fountains."
Is. 12, 3.
22. Heart of Jesus, propitiation for our sins.
"And He is the propitiation for our sins."
1 John 2, 2.
23. Heart of Jesus, loaded down with opprobrium.
"He shall be filled with reproaches."
Lam. 3, 30.
24. Heart of Jesus, bruised for our offences.
"He was wounded for our iniquities,
He was bruised for our sins ...
and by His bruises we are healed."
Is. 53, 5.
25. Heart of Jesus, obedient unto death.
"He humbled Himself, becoming obedient unto death."
Phil. 2, 8.
26. Heart of Jesus, pierced with a lance.
"One of the soldiers with a spear opened His side."
John 19, 34.
27. Heart of Jesus, source of all consolation.
"Come to me, all you that labor and are burdened, and I will refresh you."
Matt. 11, 28.
28. Heart of Jesus, our life and resurrection.
"We declare unto you the life eternal
which was with the Father and hath appeared to us."
1 John 1, 2.
29. Heart of Jesus, our peace and reconciliation.
"Through Him to reconcile all things unto Himself,
making peace through the Blood of His Cross."
Col. 1, 20.
30. Heart of Jesus, victim for sin.
"The wicked have wrought upon My back."
Ps. 128, 3.
31. Heart of Jesus, salvation of those who trust in Thee.
"Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved,"
Rom. 10, 13.
32. Heart of Jesus, hope of those who die in Thee.
"The Lord Himself shall come down from Heaven with commandment ...
and the dead who are in Christ shall rise first."
1 Thess. 4, 13.
33. Heart of Jesus, delight of all the Saints.
"The city hath no need of the sun nor of the moon to shine in it,
for the glory of God hath enlightened it
and the Lamb is the lamp thereof."
Apoc, 21, 23.