The Prayer Book:
Prayers of Saint Gertrude and Mechtilde
to Jesus Christ
WREATH OF GEMS
Composed of three beads of gold and fifteen of silver.
While St. Gertrude was offering this wreath of salutations in honour of the name of Jesus, she seemed to see them under the form of roses hung around with golden bells, the fragrance and tuneful harmony of which touched the Sacred Heart with ineffable delight. Those which had been recited with devout intention gave forth a most ravishing melody, while those which had been said carelessly uttered a low and wailing sound. And the Lord said to her: Whenever anyone prays to Me, Hail, sweetest Jesus, etc., the depth of the sweetness of My Godhead is stirred within Me, and there spreads itself before Me all odour of wondrous fragrance, which I shed down on him who repeats these words.
FIRST GOLDEN BEAD
HAIL, most loving Jesus, life-giving Germ of the Divine Honour, unfading flower of human dignity, my consummate and my only salvation. Thou art my Creator and my Redeemer, and Thou hast so loved me as to leave all Thy bliss and Thy glory, and to purchase me for Thyself with the anguish of Thy death.
FIVE SILVER BEADS
1. Hail, sweetest Jesus, most precious pearl of the most holy Trinity, with Whose price the world has been redeemed.
2. Hail, most tender Jesus, refulgent splendour of the Father's glory, Who with the light of Thy countenance dost enlighten and quicken Thine elect in the heavenly country.
3. Hail, most amiable Jesus, flashing effulgence from the sun of Justice, Who dost inflame the hearts of Angels and Saints with the fire of Thy
4. Hail, most noble Jesus, living Image of Thy Father's substance, Who dost make all those who cleave to Thee partakers of Thy Divine nature.
5. Hail, most renowned Jesus, Morning Star of Thy Church, Who enlightenest the darkness of the world, and scatterest all the thick darkness of sin.
SECOND GOLDEN BEAD
HAIL, Jesus, Bridegroom most beauteous in the charm of Thy Divinity; I salute Thee and embrace Thee with the affection of all Thy creatures, and kiss Thee with my mouth, Thou Wound of love.
FIVE SILVER BEADS
1. Hail, Jesus, fairer than the sons of men, Orient pearl born in the ocean of the Godhead of the Father, Whose generation no created intelligence can declare.
2. Hail, Jesus, sweeter than honey and the honeycomb, heavenly manna of wondrous sweetness, Who dost refresh and satisfy every hungry soul.
3. Hail, Jesus most resplendent, glowing Fire of uncreated love, Who dost lighten and bear the burden of human toil and misery.
4. Hail, Jesus, most gentle, sweet channel of heavenly streams, Who dost take away the bitterness of every soul in anguish.
5. Hail, priceless Jesus, treasure-house of the Divine Essence, Who dost enrich the poverty of our nature. Amen.
THIRD GOLDEN BEAD
HAIL, Jesus, full of grace, mercy is with Thee, and Thou art blessed among the sons of men; and blessed be Thy most Holy Name, Thy Life and Thy Passion. O sweet Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on us sinners now and in the hour of our death. Amen.
FIVE SILVER BEADS
1. Hail, Jesus, Spouse and Crown of Virgins, we praise Thee for ever, Whose love made Thee Son of the Virgin.
2. Hail, Jesus, Ruler of all things, fairer in Thy beauty than the sons of men, we acknowledge and worship Thee as our most clement Lord.
3. Hail, Jesus, wondrous splendour of the Godhead, wonder of wonders, Who dost blot out all the sins of the world.
4. Hail, Jesus, our consolation, Who dost lay open to us the treasury of the riches of God, Thou true refuge of the poor, and comfort of the afflicted.
5. Hail, Jesus, glory of Angels, living Fountain, light of all minds, Who dost transcend all joy and all desire. Amen.
HOME------------------SAINT GERTRUDE INDEX